Thursday, June 9, 2011

Gun - Word Up!


            Today’s recommendation is an old song, and is definitely in my top five favorite songs of all time, it comes all the way from Glasgow, Scotland by the band Gun. This song is their biggest hit to date and was released way back in 1994.
            Originally started as Blind Allez then changed their name to Phobia before finally settling on Gun. They have gone through numerous lineup changes but for better or worse are still together and performing. They gained moderate success during the late 80s and early 90’s Glam Metal, Heavy Metal boom.
            The song I’m recommending, Word Up!, comes from their third album Swagger. The song was most notably featured in the Pamela Anderson movie Barb Wire, in which she was strip dancing on the stage in showering water. To me this song is much more than that clip, Pamela Anderson definitely help catch my attention but after her magic wore off and I listened to the song again I fell in love immediately, I remember listening to this song in my buddies car with speakers on full volume and doing the air guitar thing, lots of nostalgia attached here.
            This song by the way is a cover of the funk song Word Up! by Cameo, no offense to the funk fans but I don’t like that song, definitely not my cup of tea, and I did not know that this song was a cover for a very long time, you can imagine my disappointment after finding the original, other notable mentions could be Korn and Melanie B from the Spice Girls her version was featured in the Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me movie. Anyhow amazing riff, perfect crisp vocals, awesome drums, this song has everything for me and will forever be my favorite song.


If you like this song you can get it from the link below
Word Up (Radio Mix) - Swagger

If you’d like to know more about them here’s the link to their Wikipedia page
For those of you who do not mind a little nudity, here’s the clip from the movie Barb Wire with Pamela Anderson dancing to it



Here’s an old live performance for Top of the Pop show


Here’s Korn’s cover


If you like this song you can get it from the link below
Word Up! - Greatest Hits, Vol. 1

If you’d like to know more about them here’s the link to their Wikipedia page
Here’s Melanie B’s cover


If you like this song you can get it from the link below
Word Up (Single Edit) - This Is... 1999

If you’d like to know more about her, here’s the link to her Wikipedia page
And finally here’s Cameo’s original


If you like this song you can get it from the link below

If you’d like to know more about them, here’s the link to their Wikipedia page
Still wanna know more about these artists, here are the links to their official websites

30 30


No comments:

Post a Comment